“A tavola non si invecchia”. - Italian proverb (At the table with good friends and family you do not become old).

Sharing authentic Italian recipes entrusted upon me through the privilege of being invited into many Italian homes and kitchen’s abroad. I travel, cook, eat, share, learn and photograph my experiences, a truly soul enriching journey. There are now over 100 recipes on this blog to search from. I am a Melbourne born girl who now resides in Pietrasanta, Italy. Sharing my love for food and all things Italian with you. I am not a professionally trained chef, just a person that really loves cooking and has made my passion my reality! Through talent and drive I now work as a private chef in some of the most prestigious private villa`s here in Tuscany, Italy!

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Pomodori secchi di Toscana (dried tomatoes)

Sun dried tomatoes are typically made in the south of Italy and generally I make a Sicilian version adding anchovies and capers to the preserve.  Since I am currently living in Tuscany and I was able to buy five kilo's of cherry tomatoes 'pomodorini' from the local market, I decided to make them "Tuscan style".  The colour and flavour of these little gems is so bold and sweet.  We are currently heading into winter so there is a lack of sunshine in which the tomatoes traditionally need to be dried under, so I have opted to use the oven.  This recipe is so simple and easy and the end result is truly remarkable.  The preserved tomatoes will last approximately three months and is a great snack served with crusty bread or typically this is served with meat in Tuscany.
What you need:
2 kilo's of tomatoes (bright and red)
Salt
Fresh parsley
2 bulbs of garlic
Extra virgin Italian olive oil
How to make:
1: Cut the tomatoes in half and evenly place them on a well salted baking tray.  Cover the tomatoes with a good amount of salt (this will help dry out the tomatoes)
2:  Place in the oven at 120 degrees for approximately 40minutes-1 hour 
3:  Place a layer of tomatoes in sterilized jars, add gloves of garlic and parley.  Repeat process until jars are filled and top with olive oil.  Seal the jars and store in a dark cool place.  It is best to let the flavour absorb for at least a month.
Buon Apetito



No comments:

Post a Comment