“A tavola non si invecchia”. - Italian proverb (At the table with good friends and family you do not become old).

Sharing authentic Italian recipes entrusted upon me through the privilege of being invited into many Italian homes and kitchen’s abroad. I travel, cook, eat, share, learn and photograph my experiences, a truly soul enriching journey. There are now over 100 recipes on this blog to search from. I am a Melbourne born girl who now resides in Pietrasanta, Italy. Sharing my love for food and all things Italian with you. I am not a professionally trained chef, just a person that really loves cooking and has made my passion my reality! Through talent and drive I now work as a private chef in some of the most prestigious private villa`s here in Tuscany, Italy!

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Tortellini in Brodo (broth with tortellini)

Ok, admittedly I did not make the tortellini in this recipe. However I do not feel guilty as I purchased these little delicacies from one of the oldest pasta houses in Bologna, the origin of "tortellini in brodo".  Italians enjoy eating this around Christmas time, normally for Christmas dinner or boxing day. To eat something somewhat lighter than the previous heavy meals consumed during the festive season.  One of the only rules for making this celebratory soup is that you must make it using home made stock (refer to chicken stock recipe).  Traditionally in Italy the tastiest way to make the stock is by using "capon" (a male chicken).  The traditonal filling and the ones that I purchased in Bologna are filled with pork, mortadella and parmigiano.  As it is now winter in Italy, sitting around the table enjoying a hot bowl of "tortellini in brodo" warms your soul, even when it is cold outside!
How to make (to serve six people):
Bring two litres of stock to the boil, then add about 250 grams of tortellini.  Boil the tortellini in the broth for the amount of time according to the instructions (about ten minutes). Serve in warm bowls and top with freshly grated parmesan cheese.  Some of my Italian friends from the South of Italy also add some freshly squeezed lemon juice and chilli flakes!


Buon Apetito
#pasta #tortellini #brodo #broth #soup #stock 

1 comment:

  1. It's a cold day, and I am dying for this. One of the best things I have ever tasted.

    ReplyDelete