“A tavola non si invecchia”. - Italian proverb (At the table with good friends and family you do not become old).

Sharing authentic Italian recipes entrusted upon me through the privilege of being invited into many Italian homes and kitchen’s abroad. I travel, cook, eat, share, learn and photograph my experiences, a truly soul enriching journey. There are now over 100 recipes on this blog to search from. I am a Melbourne born girl who now resides in Pietrasanta, Italy. Sharing my love for food and all things Italian with you. I am not a professionally trained chef, just a person that really loves cooking and has made my passion my reality! Through talent and drive I now work as a private chef in some of the most prestigious private villa`s here in Tuscany, Italy!

Friday, March 30, 2012

Insalata di fichi (fig salad)

        
Fast, simple, quick and easy but insanely delicious.  When adding figs life just becomes instantly decadent in my opinion.  My instant association and probably most Italians is to enjoy figs with prosciutto.  I like to eat figs picked straight from the tree as they have just been ripened from the summers sun.  Most Italian  households with serve a bowl of lettuce and tomatoes as a salad option with most meals, however this salad is a little more special.  Enjoy it on it's own and soak up the remaining juices with some crusty bread or present it as a side dish.  The figs can  be lightly grilled if desired however I like to enjoy them fresh.
What you need:
4 fresh figs cut in quarters 
100g of goats cheese crumbled
1/2 cups fresh walnuts (crack from the shell)
100g fresh rocket leaves
1/4 cups in total (half olive oil, half balsamic vinegar)
100g prosciutto di Parma (optional)

1: Mix the oil and vinegar together.  Toss the rocket though the dressing until thoroughly coated.  Present the dressed rocket leaves on a large platter
2: Place the prosciutto on top then arrange the remaining ingredients in layers.  Alternatively serve the prosciutto on a side plate and serve with salad (or omit)

No comments:

Post a Comment