“A tavola non si invecchia”. - Italian proverb (At the table with good friends and family you do not become old).

Sharing authentic Italian recipes entrusted upon me through the privilege of being invited into many Italian homes and kitchen’s abroad. I travel, cook, eat, share, learn and photograph my experiences, a truly soul enriching journey. There are now over 100 recipes on this blog to search from. I am a Melbourne born girl who now resides in Pietrasanta, Italy. Sharing my love for food and all things Italian with you. I am not a professionally trained chef, just a person that really loves cooking and has made my passion my reality! Through talent and drive I now work as a private chef in some of the most prestigious private villa`s here in Tuscany, Italy!

Monday, December 24, 2012

Buon Natale a tutti- Merry Christmas everybody

 
My family in Australia will be waking up soon, excited about the proceedings of the day ahead. However it is 5:30pm on Christmas Eve in Italy and there are many festivities to get through. The sky is grey, the sea ferocious, and the wind gusty- but the Christmas lights seem to make it all better.
For years now I have been wanting to make a 'panodoro' for Christmas and this year I actually put more of an attempt in than previous years. However I could not find one shop in Viareggio that sold the correct baking tin (who would have figured), and then I realised through the advise of wise friends that to make a proper 'pandoro', it is best to make your own yeast- which takes roughly 20 days! Needless to say another Christmas rolls by without a homemade 'pandoro'. But keep your eyes posted at Easter time! 
Any-way I just wanted to quickly share with you some of the treats that are typical at Christmas time in Italy (and sitting under my Christmas tree). For example when I was in Rome two years ago, every guest that arrived at the hosts house brought with them either a 'pandoro' or 'panettone'. By the end of the evening there were at least 20 stacked under the Christmas tree. They are a common gift to give instead of chocolates of flowers common in my homeland. Both are essentially a butter bread dough, and can be found filled with various ingredients such as chocolate, candied fruit, limoncello etc.
Other traditional sweets include:
'Torrone'- a confection typically made from egg whites teamed with honey, sugar and various nuts and sometimes fruit. However search this blog for the Sicilian version.
'Panforte'- a traditional flat style Christmas cake containing fruit and nuts. It dates back to the 13th century from Siena, Tuscany.
'Ricciarelli'- a traditional Tuscan biscuit consisting of almonds dating back to the 14th century- dusted with icing sugar

Whoever you are with this Christmas and whatever is on your plate, I sincerely wish you a Merry Christmas.
Kara xx
the menu for lunch at a friends house- including the treats mentioned above
my bike loaded with Christmas goodies 

4 comments: