“A tavola non si invecchia”. - Italian proverb (At the table with good friends and family you do not become old).

Sharing authentic Italian recipes entrusted upon me through the privilege of being invited into many Italian homes and kitchen’s abroad. I travel, cook, eat, share, learn and photograph my experiences, a truly soul enriching journey. There are now over 100 recipes on this blog to search from. I am a Melbourne born girl who now resides in Pietrasanta, Italy. Sharing my love for food and all things Italian with you. I am not a professionally trained chef, just a person that really loves cooking and has made my passion my reality! Through talent and drive I now work as a private chef in some of the most prestigious private villa`s here in Tuscany, Italy!

Monday, February 25, 2013

Paccheri al tonno- paccheri with tuna

If only I could turn back time and send myself back to beautiful Tropea, an ancient Roman seaside town on the Tyrrhenian sea in Calabria. This is the place I first tried this tasty tube-like  pasta. Although I cook many pasta dishes with tuna I had never used paccheri before (however this type of pasta is typically from Naples). My friend Silvana and I enjoyed a long lunch together in Tropea and during our lengthy stay we made friends with the owners, a married couple (their names unfortunately lapse my memory). It was such a cosy restaurant, the owners two young daughters sat at the table next to us as they enjoyed their lunch break from school. Any-way the husband who is the chef kindly entrusted me with the recipe for this simple dish. So if I just close my eyes during the freezing winter months in Viareggio I might be transported back to sunny Tropea! 
As you may know I recently found myself a job cooking for some local builders. They requested to have seafood, hence I served this as the first course (yes, pasta is a first course in Italy).  The plates came back to the kitchen spotlessly clean...phew!

Restaurant: 
La Pentola d'Oro 
Via Pelliccia sns, Tropea Italia
PH: 0963 607 073


What you need (serves four people):
500g paccheri pasta
160g canned tuna in olive oil (roughly)
one red onion diced 
two cloves of garlic
two ripe small cherry tomatoes (optional)
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
salt
parsley for garnish
the workers enjoying their 3 course lunch break
How to make:
1:  Place the paccheri in a large pot of generously salted boiling water. Boil for the amount of time listed on the packet- roughly 16 minuets
2: In a separate pan and the smashed garlic, olive oil and diced onion with a pinch of salt. Lightly saute until the onions become transparent, however be sure not to brown
3: Add the tuna and warm through
4: Just before serving add the fresh tomatoes and toss through the sauce
5: Add the cooked pasta to the sauce making sure the pasta is evenly coated with the sauce, heat over a low flame for one minute. Serve with fresh parsley (and a squeeze of lemon juice if desired- I like it)
#buonadomenica #viareggio #cibo #italia #italy #tourism #turista #versilia #toscana #tuscany #kara #bellavita #pasta #paccheri tonno #tuna #easyfood

No comments:

Post a Comment